F.A.Q

1. What is the Length of a lease?

We will take out a lease on your land for the duration of 20 Ė 30 years.

2. Do I transfer any ownership of part of the land?

The ownership of the land with which we would erect the turbine, ancillary works and accesses on remain fully under your ownership. We simply lease these relatively small required areas of land from you.

3. Who has the right to the site after the lease expires?

Our partners in Europe are currently experiencing the effects occurring after the leases expire. This includes the refusal by most planning authorities to grant permission for new turbine sites, with an emphasis being concentrated on replacement and upgrade sites instead, similar to housing developments in N.I. The turbine site will therefore be very valuable after the lease expires.

We believe you should own this site and we should not have an automatic right to renew the lease as most other developers do. Therefore we give ownership of the turbine, ancillary buildings and infrastructure and the site to you after the lease expires, in instances where medium sized (=250KW) turbines are installed. We may request to renew the lease but that will be at your discretion.

4. What is the Basis for objections?

a. Objections can be raised by neighbours on the visual, noise effects. We are very careful to reduce any nuisance caused to neighbours and to actively involve all concerned during the whole planning process.

b. Planning authorities may reject an application based on these or on the environmental impacts on migrating birds, local flora and fauna or on the basis that they threaten local tourism or historical monuments. The PPS 18 issued by the planning authorities however provides a good indication of the areas most likely to receive planning permission.

5. Can I use the electricity myself?

Because electricity is bought at more (£0.15 approx.) than it is sold to the grid (£0.05 approx.), if you use a considerable amount of electricity it may be beneficial to use some and sell the excess but this will depend on the cost of connection to the domestic property.

6. What height to turbines range from?

Turbines range from 15m up to 125m in height.

7. What size of site is required?

Wind turbines occupy very little space (typically 1%), which allows the remaining 99% to continue to be used for commercial or agricultural activity. A number of alterations can be made to allow a turbine to be located on a relatively small site, including hub height, blade length and downgrading the power output, whilst still producing a feasible return.

8. What happens if the wind doesnít blow?

In this instance, electricity continues to be provided through traditional supplies such as fossil fuels supply.

We have designed our agreements so that we bear the risk if the wind doesnít blow. With medium sized turbines (=250KW), your rental payment is not dependent on the wind speed and so unless the turbine is completely down for a substantial period, you will still receive the full rental payment. With large turbines (>250KW), we offer an agreement which offers a minimal annual rental payment, even if the wind never blows.

9. What wind speed is required?

Choosing the correct turbine or tuning it for the wind speed on your site is important. All models have a power curve which shows their optimum power output at a specific wind speed. Typically this will start from 4m/s Ė 5m/s. Some can now start operating at as low as 3m/s.

10. Can I do the site works?

In all instances where the land owner has the suitable equipment and experience to carry out or assist in carrying out the site works, we will engage them to do so.

11. Do Wind Turbines frighten Livestock?

Wind farming has been proven to cause no disturbance to livestock and is very popular among sheep, beef and equine farmers.

12. What are the NIRO and ROCís?

The Renewable obligation (ROís) is a government backed scheme paid for by electricity consumers and suppliers. It places an obligation on UK suppliers to source an increasing percentage of their electricity from renewable supplies.

A Renewable obligation Certificate (ROC) is a green certificate issued by OffGem to accredited generators. Between 1 and 4 ROCís may be issued for each megawatt hour (MWh) of eligible renewable electricity generated depending on the type and size of the source. E.g. 1 ROC is issued for every MWh produced by each on-shore wind turbine with a power output in excess of 250KW but 4 are issued per MWh for each on-shore turbine with a power output =250KW. These ROCís are then sold to energy suppliers to help them meet their renewable targets.